Saturday, January 11, 2014

Arts and Crafts: Repainting an Old Mirror

Why hello there!

How is it going? Sticking to the resolutions you made? Personally, I'm pretty on track with mine.  Although, you shouldn't be too hard on yourself when it comes to making goals or resolutions.  I like breaking big goals down into smaller steps that make it seem more achievable.  I'm also a big believer in rewarding myself for completing a goal; for example, I have some stretches I'm supposed to do for my back health.  If I do those 10 days in a row, I let myself buy a new book or something little for myself.  A fun way to keep track of this is a sticker chart-- as childish as that sounds, its encouraging to see the progress I've made.  Plus I just really like stickers ;)

A little painting project I worked on recently is putting a fresh layer of paint on a mirror I picked up a couple years ago.  It is a super cute mirror, as you'll see in the pictures.  I don't have a place for it yet in my little apartment, but I hope to display it someday.

This is the mirror before I put any paint on it.  Please ignore my attire in my reflection, haha, it's just my tiger kigurumi pajamas.  The paint was in fairly good condition, but around the edges there  were some parts where the paint had chipped off.

 All I did to the body of the mirror was throw a layer of ivory acrylic paint.  Next, some yellow in the middle of the flowers and around the inner edge of the frame, right next to the mirror.


Then, some pink on the flower petals! I do love pink.

Finally, I decided to add some shine with gold leaf at the top of the mirror.  As you might recall (click here if you need a refresher,) I don't get along with gold leaf.  This little episode proved no different, but I persevered.  It turned out okay, but I think I would have rather used a metallic paint.

Here is the final result!  I think it turned out pretty cute.  I kept the colors pretty mild because I wanted it to be able to fit in with most decor.  Plus pink is a color I will never tire of!

Have you done any artsy or crafty things lately? Share with me! I love talking about crafty things, not just cosplay-related things.  

Until next time!
-Alycia

No comments:

Post a Comment