Thursday, February 27, 2014

Book Review: Dorothy Through the Looking Glass

Hello everyone! I can’t believe how long winter is lasting.  I was fortunate enough to escape for a couple days, to sunny and warm Oregon.  No joke, it was 50 degrees warmer than home, and sunny 90% of the time.  Then my welcoming party back home involved a blizzard and negative temperatures.  Ahhh, the “last best place.”

To make this harsh winter more bearable, I had the opportunity to read the latest installment of local author Ron Glick’s crossover series between Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz.  This one, titled “Dorothy Through the Looking Glass,” is a delightful second installment to the first one, “The Wizard in Wonderland” (read my review here: http://heartandsoulcosplay.blogspot.com/2013/08/book-review-wizard-in-wonderland.html)

I have to say, I was hooked from the get-go.  Take into consideration the cliffhanger in the last book, and I was eager to devour this one.  Touching on a point I made in my last review, where I felt a little hesitant starting off, I was much more comfortable in this second book.  I felt much more familiar with this world, so I able to enjoy the novel right from the start without having to spend any time orienting my self.  

Something I’ve enjoyed about this series is the multiple points of views offered.  This was expanded further in “Dorothy Through the Looking Glass” by means of having a chapter in Toto’s point of view. I’ll admit I was disappointed that only one chapter was devoted to Toto’s view point, because it was so well-written, humorous, and with just the right dose of canine candidness.  It was a great way to draw in the readers attention, as this took place right in the first chapter.  It really set a nice pace for the rest of the novel.  And looking back now, it set up some interesting character development that clicks into the place throughout the rest of the novel.  

Now, I can’t really talk about some of my favorite parts without spoiling some pretty key parts, so I will be vague in my description.  This crossover holds so much potential, and I am not disappointed by the scenarios that Glick incorporates.  And with the introduction of a couple characters, including a crafty cat, the plot not only thickens but becomes even more perilous for our two protagonists and the worlds they want to save.  Again with a cliffhanger though! Right as I was intensely reading and all the puzzle pieces began clicking into place, I was once more led right off the edge of the cliff.  Now, it is all I can do to hang on until the next part of the series.

I was lucky enough to receive a signed copy of “Dorothy Through the Looking Glass” from Ron himself (thank you so much, again!) but if you are interested in owning a copy for yourself, go ahead and follow this link: http://www.amazon.com/Dorothy-Through-Looking-Oz-Wonderland-Series/dp/1494861208/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393558724&sr=8-3&keywords=ron+glick

Alrighty everyone, thanks for stopping by! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my blog posts and follow along with my thought process, haha.  Stay warm out there!

Stay tuned for some cosplay updates!

-Alycia

1 comment: