Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Sakura-Con 2014! Post 1 of 3: Zack and Cloud!

Hello everyone!

Welp, another Sakura-Con has come and gone.  It always feels so surreal when I think about how much fun I had there interacting with other people, shopping in the exhibitor's/artist alley hall, and going to all the different panels and events.  It is also difficult how fast those three days fly by.  Three days in a normal work-week go by so sluggishly, but somehow three days of Sakura-Con fly by!

We arrived in Seattle Thursday evening, and once we got checked into the hotel, we took to wandering the streets around the convention center.  Much to our bewilderment, most people we happened upon had their badges and swag bags for the con already! After a little asking around, it turns out you can actually pick up your badge Thursday night if you pre-registered! Oh man, it was so relaxing being able to do that! I'm definitely going to remember to do that next year.

Friday morning, I woke everyone up bright and early, despite their protests.  We, okay, I,  decided we would wander around the exhibitors hall and convention center before getting into cosplay, because it is just a lot easier to maneuver when you are not wearing pauldrons and carrying a twenty pound, 6 feet long sword.  I scored plenty of great loot, do you guys want to see any of it? If there is enough interest I will definitely post some photos.

After about an hour or two, Justin and I decide we can't wait any longer to get into our cosplays, so we return to the hotel room to get into our Final Fantasy 7 cosplays.  We decided to wear these again this year for multiple reasons.  One, the swords are freaking epic.  Two, we love FF7.  Three, a heck of a lotta time was devoted to creating these cosplays and it would be a shame to only wear them to one convention.  It is my pleasure now to show you the photos we captured of us cosplaying as Zack and Cloud at Sakura-Con 2014! *hint- click on the photos for a gallery view, or view one by one below!



As you can see in the above two photos, Brenton captured some awesome images of the "behind the scenes" preparation.  I couldn't not include them! In case you're wondering, I'm carefully applying the scar to Justin's face, haha.  

As for the next two photos, we were trying to capture the "intimidating" aura that members of SOLDIER, imagined or not, should have.  I'd say Justin succeeded, but as for myself... I don't come across as too scary haha.


 The photo below turned out so well that I actually printed off a poster-sized version of it for Justin and I! Really pleased with how this came out.  Thanks, Brenton :)

Another photo of myself, staring wistfully into the distance.  It's hard for me to remember not to "smile for the camera" when I'm cosplaying as Cloud.  I'm a very smiley person, but Cloud is a very somber, stoic character, so I catch myself smiling a lot.  Plus, its hard not to smile when I'm at Sakura-Con!

Before I forget, I just want to give a big thank you to everyone who wanted pictures of Justin and I this year.  To have the cosplays we worked so hard on be so well received for two years in a row is a huge compliment.  It means so much to me when someone wants to give me a hug or tell me how much they like my cosplay.  Thank you all so much!!

Friday night, we arrived a little late to the Final Fantasy photo shoot gathering, but still managed to get into some shots! One of my favorites is below, it was all the "angsty" characters doing what they do best-- angsting.   It was a lot of fun posing with everyone!

 Fun fact: after we left the photo shoot area, we ran into this awesome Sephiroth who was rocking that one giant wing! So who could resist a few pictures??

Well, this is concludes the first post in my series chronicling Sakura-Con 2014.  It was so great adventuring as Zack and Cloud again, and I can't wait to show you guys more photos from the next couple days of Sakura-Con! 

Any questions or comments about our cosplays, or our time at the con? Hit us up! My Twitter handle is @whimsyAly, you can comment below, or shoot us an email to heartandsoulcosplay@gmail.com.  Love hearing from you!

-See you soon, 
Alycia

1 comment:

  1. Oh hey. That was me with the materia blade! Glad to see you got some good shots!

    ReplyDelete