Friday, October 4, 2013

Cosplay Update: Morgiana's Top.

Welcome back, everyone!

What I will show you this week is how I made the top for my Morgiana, from Magi, cosplay, specifically her dancing outfit.  It looks a lot like a tube top, except the fabric appears to be gathered and twisted, and depending on what image you look at, there is a gold circle in the middle of the top.  There are also drape-y pieces of fabric that hang from her top to her bottom, but I've decided to make those detachable and will add those in later.

I started with a nude strapless bra.  I like having the structure and security of a bra that fits snugly, and it worked great as a form to fit my fabric to.  To get the dimensions of the fabric I needed right, I measured around myself as I was wearing the bra, and then then measured the height of the bra.  The piece of fabric I needed would be rectangular, approximately 7 inches tall by 34 inches wide.  I actually made the rectangle a bit bigger than this so I would have extra material to drape and shape the top with.
Here come the pictures~!  I used my dress form, and pinned the fabric into place while the bra was on the form.



I pinned it while on the dress form because it will then keep that proper shape when I sew it into place off of the dress form.  So when I took it off the dress form, you can see below it became all baggy and out of shape appearing, but just for a trial I tried it on myself, pins and all, and it fit exactly how I needed it to.



For the sewing, it was fairly easy along the cups.  I hand-sewed it all, and not in a continuous line.  I chose several points, such as the top and bottom of each up, and along where the elastic starts, and just sewed back and forth over a tiny stretch.  Sewing along the elastic proved tricky, because I needed to be able to sew while stretched out so the fabric stayed in place.  I asked for Brenton's help here.  It went smoothly in this case, except he did get a little nervous when the needle got a little close to his leg!  I used the same tactic here as I did over the cups, just hand sewing at different points.

If you look closely here you can see a couple of my stitches,
The after photo, all sewed into place.
One last time I strapped it back onto my dress form just to make sure it looked good from all angles.   I'm really happy with how it turned out.  The back is a little messy, but it will be covered by her headdress and/or hair, so I'm not worrying too much about it.  




The last little gem is the gold circle on the top.  It actually serves as an attachment point for a chain that dangles from her necklace.  I found an awesome pin at the thrift store without even really looking-- it was just one of those things that jumped out at me and I knew it would be exactly what I wanted for this cosplay.

Thats it for this week.  If you managed to read this far, thank you so much! I'm still making steady process on this cosplay, slow but steady due to working, working out, and spending time with friends and family.  It's coming together really well and I'm so happy to share my progress with you. I hope you are as excited as I am to see the final result!

Sincerely,
-Alycia

No comments:

Post a Comment