Saturday, September 21, 2013

Super exciting thrift store find!

Hello there!

So every once in a while I like to hit up local thrift stores to look for things I can use for cosplaying purposes, such as jewelry that can be incorporated into a costume, or clothing that can be taken apart or altered to what I need.  Plus, sometimes there are cute little knick knacks that I never know I need until I see them.

Recently, I was in the local Salvation Army when I come across something I've always dreamed of finding, but never thought I would be so lucky.  It is a beautiful, vintage appearing, lace shirt.  Here are some photos of my lucky find!


Aahhhh, isn't it beautiful.  You'll cry when I tell you how much I paid for it.  $4.75.  Yep, thats right.  I nearly cried tears of joy also.  Here, have some close up pictures of the details:



At the collar on the front, and in the middle of the shirt there are the cutest little floral and white seed-bead details.  The middle of the shirt has a heart even! And look at the gorgeous lace and gentle, scalloped edges! 


The bottom of the shirt has a ribbon tie, some more lace detail, and a gentle point in the front and back.

Speaking of the back of the shirt, the neckline and collar area seems pretty simple in comparison to the front, but when you look closer at the buttons, they are actually little flowers! I see them as roses, but I suppose thats open to interpretation.  


The sleeves of the shirt should not go unmentioned, either! The scalloped edge of the lace along the sleeves is not sewed down, so when the sleeve is on the arm the lace stands out a bit.  There is also a ribbon drawstring on the end of the sleeve to draw it tighter around the wrists.


I spent a good half-hour on Google trying to figure out a little bit more about this shirt, but none of my searches produced anything.  Granted, I don't know very much about researching vintage clothing (I'm calling this shirt vintage because it appears that way, and don't have any evidence to make me think otherwise, so there!) so my searches were mostly the name I found on the tag.  I even searched for the brand name on eBay and didn't turn up anything.  So if any of you guys feel like looking into this for me, let me know what you find!

I'm thinking of designing an original costume with this shirt, something along the lines of the Elegant Gothic Lolita style, or maybe a steampunk creation? I don't know yet, but whatever I do, I'm gonna be super excited! For now, I have a couple other cosplays I'm working on and planning out, so this shirt is going to be kept safe until the moment is right.

Any questions or comments about this shirt, or anything else cosplay related? Hit me up on Twitter (@whimsyAly) or email heartandsoulcosplay@gmail.com.

Until next time!
-Alycia

No comments:

Post a Comment