Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Fun with Washi Tape: Dresser Edition!

Hi friends!

Are you every plagued by the feeling that your furniture is just not quite cute enough?  I seem to have that problem.  Shocking, I know.  I bought myself a new dresser recently, and it was just so plain and white that I just had to do something about it.  

I wanted something that was really cutesy and feminine, but not something I would have to put a lot of effort in to.  Scratch that, I wanted it to look like I had put a lot of time and effort into it, haha.  That when I though washi tape would be perfect for the job.  Washi tape is a growing in popularity in the papercrafting crowd,  due mostly to the cute and fun designs that get printed onto the tape (read more here: http://www.omiyage.ca/what-is-washi-tape.)  Scotch tape has put out its own line of printed tapes, which is what I used to create my perfect dresser!

So here is my dresser, freshly assembled.  While it's simple, its not quite the look I was going for.
 At Target, I pickup up two different washi tape designs, and some rub-on transfers.
 Next, I taped it all up!  I was very pleased with Scotch's washi tape.  It went on easy, and came off easy if I needed to quickly replace it.  It stays in place pretty well after you apply some pressure to it.  I chose alternating patterns for my dresser because I liked how it looks.

 Next, I just had fun with the rub-on transfers.  These took a little more work than the washi tape, but well worth it in my opinion.



 Now, when you look at this thing, you'd like to think that it can't get much more girly.  That is false.
 I broke out my hot glue gun and lace, and put a layer of lace along the top of the dresser.
 Still not girly enough, am I right?  Look at those plain drawer pulls.  Wanna know  how to fix that? Silk flowers and pearls.  Thats right, pearls.
 Double layer the silk flowers for maximum effect.

 The final result?  100, no, 200% cuteness and fun.  While some people, including my husband, think its a little over the top, I think its perfect.

Any questions or comments? Like always, hit me up!

-Alycia

No comments:

Post a Comment